Queen’s offers employment opportunities in the form of resident and non-resident teachers, student employment and staff positions
Chief Operating Officer
Newly created Chief Operating Officer role at Queen’s College, University of Melbourne. Seeking a commercial lead for this vibrant NFP academic community.
- Newly created COO role – oversight of finance, property, catering, Information Technology, advancement and academia
- Parkville (VIC) location inc. car park, heritage and history since foundation in 1887
- Lead senior management team and report directly to Master, Prof Stewart Gill OAM
Queen’s College was founded in 1887 as a residential college of the University of Melbourne under the auspices of the Uniting Church of Australia. It commenced as a male only college becoming co-educational in 1973 with the introduction of the first women undergraduates.
For over 125 years Queen’s College has fostered a unique community where students come together to live and pursue their intellectual and personal growth in a caring and supportive environment.
Queen’s College currently has 241 undergraduate students, 56 graduate students and 29 members of the Senior Common Room.
The vision of Queen’s College is to: be a vibrant and supportive academic residential community, a place which fosters life-long learning and fellowship.
The mission of Queen’s College is to: provide a positive and stimulating environment for students to pursue their studies at university; and to support and encourage students’ academic work and personal development through a wide range of activities that enable them to excel and inspire in a rapidly changing and globalised world.
Queen’s College values the following:
- a strong sense of community, embracing diversity and practising inclusiveness;
- our heritage as a liberal institution with a Christian ethos;
- respect and support for the needs and rights of others;
- the importance of learning as a holistic experience encompassing mind, body and spirit, and also encouraging intellectual enquiry;
- striving for excellence in academic and other pursuits;
- service to the wider community and concern for the future of the environment in which we live.
The College is entering an exciting new phase of development and modernisation. The COO will work closely with the Master and the Senior Management Team to provide high level, values-based leadership across all operational and commercial functions to support organisational effectiveness. A key priority of the role is to ensure that all operational functions are highly coordinated and actively support the achievement of Queen’s strategic goals.
The COO is responsible for ensuring that Queen’s systems and processes optimally support organisational sustainability, accountability and performance. The role will also drive the ongoing development of an organisational culture that embodies Queen’s values and promotes a positive and safe environment for staff and students.
The COO will directly manage the college’s business and administration functions including finance, risk and compliance, information technology, property services and catering services in addition to supporting the delivery of student support, academic and advancement functions.
To be successful in securing this unique role, the successful candidate will:
- Hold relevant accounting/finance qualifications, in addition to CA/CPA membership (highly regarded)
- Have previous executive experience managing finance or corporate services as part of a small to medium organisation
- Show competence in business management within the education and/or not for profit sectors
- Demonstrate understanding and experience in leading strategic activities including evidence of planning, implementation and evaluation
- Demonstrate the ability to lead pragmatically within an organisation experiencing change
- Be capable of strong and effective written and verbal communication with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- Be a strong facilitator, negotiator and influencer
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience in project management including planning, implementation and delivering outcomes
- Show commitment to, and demonstrated experience in, organisational performance management linked to outcomes
- Be a digitally minded leader, and someone with a predisposition to providing outstanding customer service.
Queen’s College is an equal opportunity employer. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and those who speak languages other than English are encouraged to apply.
For a confidential discussion or further information regarding the position, please contact Tom Hutchinson, Client Partner at Pacific Search Partners, on 03 9631 1500.
Applications must include a current resume and a brief application letter that clearly outlines your claims to the position. Please note that resumes without an application letter will not be acknowledged or considered.